The Best Roads Group
Highway Construction, together with joint venture partners Boral Asphalt and Egis Consulting first joined together to form The Best Roads Group to deliver a 10-year term maintenance contract (TNC 8/99) to maintain and rehabilitate roads in the north metropolitan area of Perth.:
The $100M plus fixed lump sum performance-based contract, running from February 2001 to February 2011 was successfully completed in its original form and handed over the client after the full contract term expired. It included:
- capital works delivery for values up to $3M;
- annual resurfacing and resealing works;
- maintenance and installation of signs, lighting and line markings;
- maintenance and rehabilitation of bridges and structures;
- maintenance and rehabilitation of drainage and water ways;
- collection and management of asset inventory data; and
- responding to customer enquiries, complaints and feedback.
Special features and challenges of the contract included:
- undertaking civil works in a highly trafficked urban environment requiring complex traffic management solutions;
- the implementation and continual updating of an asset management system using satellite technology to precisely map network assets;
- 24-hour emergency response for incidents such as oil spills, major traffic accidents and traffic control for bush fires; and
- pavement asset management including investment in software with the world’s leading Maintenance Management System “Highways” by Exor – and adapting the software for compatibility of use in WA.
Well positioned to deliver road and structures maintenance contracts
Following on from the success of the TNC8/99, road maintenance remains a key focus for Highway Construction, which remains well positioned to deliver clients effective road and structures maintenance management.